The treatment of back pain depends on its intensity and cause. Acute back pain usually gets better with treatment at home. Over-the-counter pain killers and heat or ice therapy can give relief from acute back pain. The matter of concern however is chronic pain – a pain that people in the past said that we have to ‘live with’. Thanks to the development in medical science, however, in recent years, researchers have come up with pain management therapies to treat chronic back pain and all other types of chronic pain. You can get chronic back pain treated in pain management clinics in Las Vegas.
If you are experiencing back pain, do not leave it untreated and it can interfere with the healing process of the same and affect your immune system as well. Here we look at some approaches used by pain management doctors to treat chronic back pain.
What is Pain Management?
Pain medicine or pain management is a branch of medical science that deals with the study of pain, its diagnosis and treatment, its prevention and evaluation. It also includes the study of rehabilitation of various painful disorders.
Chronic Back Pain – Role of Pain Management
Pain management has a variety of purposes to serve when it comes to musculoskeletal and spine cases. It usually different from surgical treatment and the techniques it employs in case of chronic back pain are as follows:
- Help identify the source or origin of the patient’s back pain
- Help determine the areas, if any that needs surgical treatment
- Help with the rehabilitation of the patient after the completion of the surgery etc.
Pain management makes use of a variety of techniques to address not only chronic back pain but also all the other types of pain. Let’s have a look at them in details.
Pain Management Techniques
Research is still being conducted to know which techniques and pain management therapies offer the best results. One can consult pain management doctors and other places to know what the best is for him or her. Pain management technique can be grouped under the following the heads:
- Physical therapy that is non invasive and does not involve the use of any medications
- Use of pain medications that is completely pharmacological in nature
- Injections and stem cell procedures that are invasive in nature
Non Invasive Pain Management (non drug)
This is used to treat chronic back pain and neck pain and does not involve the use of any drugs. Some of the most common pain management techniques included under this are:
- Exercise – Physical exercise can give relief from chronic back pain. This is necessary for maintaining musculoskeletal health, disc nutrition and cardiovascular health as well
- Manual techniques – Chiropractic and massage therapy comes under this. Chiropractic involves the stimulation of the spine with the use of hands and is really effective in treating back pain.
Non Invasive Pain Management (with drug)
Pain clinics usually prescribe the following categories of drugs to treat back pain and other pains:
- Muscle relaxants
- NSAIDs or non steroidal anti inflammatory agents
- Narcotic medications
- Neuromodulating medications
- Antidepressants and anticonvulsants
Invasive Pain Management Techniques
This includes injections or the placement of devices inside the body to treat the underlying cause of the pain. Some of the invasive pain management techniques include:
- Electrotherapy devices implantation
- Radiofrequency radioblation